On Tuesday, two male protesters were killed and dozens injured in Khartoum, Sudan’s capital after security forces fired bullets and tear gas to disperse a rally of protesters marking the second anniversary and demanding justice for the causalities of a deadly raid on a peaceful anti-government protest in 2019 urging a transfer to civilian rule.
In a statement early Wednesday morning, Sudan’s military in a statement said that it “regretted the incident” and stressed that “no instructions had been issued to the forces deployed at the General Command to use live ammunition against citizens”. It said it would investigate and cooperate fully with judicial authorities, including handing over anyone shown to be involved.
Reacting to the incident in a statement, Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok said he was “shocked” by the killings, calling the use of live bullets a “crime against peaceful protesters” and demanded immediate justice while condemning the slowness of the judicial system in uncovering crimes.
Meetings have been called between Sudan’s military and civilian leadership by Hamdok to “review and correct” the path of Sudan’s military and civilian political parties who appointed Hamdok and most of the cabinet.
Sudan’s opposition said 127 people were killed from the 2019 raid, while authorities say the toll was at 87.
Investigations are yet to be concluded.