At least 30 people were shot or hacked to death by rebels in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, local and UN sources said Monday.
The Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a group linked to the so-called Islamic State has been blamed by members of civil society for the attack on Saturday in the province of Ituri.
The United States has deemed the ADF a terrorist group, and it is considered the deadliest of scores of armed militias that roam the mineral-rich eastern DR Congo.
The ADF first emerged as a rebel movement in neighbouring Uganda in 1996, but is today presented as the Islamic State’s Central Africa Province.
It has been accused of killing thousands of civilians since 2013.
Dieudonne Malangayi, acting chairman of the chiefdom of Walese Vonkutu, initially said 14 people died but that more bodies had been discovered in the bush and the toll could rise further.
“The civilians who went to look for the bodies of the victims found 16 others in the bush, which makes 30 civilians massacred,” he said.
Malangayi complained that the army took no action despite being alerted on Friday to rebel movements in the area.
“ADF rebels entered in the morning (on Saturday) and operated all day,” he said. He accused them of looting homes and shops, and killing mostly farmers.