Akinwunmi Ambode denies ownership of bank account containing N9.9 billion

0
41

Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, the immediate past Governor of Lagos State, has denied ownership of the bank account allegedly containing N9.9 billion, which was frozen by a Federal High court sitting in Lagos, on the request of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

See: https://www.tostvnetwork. com/breaking-federal-high- court-orders-the-freezing-of- n9-9-billion-linked-to-the- lagos-state-government/

According to reports, Ambode gave this clarification on Friday, August 9, in a Press release issued by his Spokesperson, Mr. Habib Aruna, a copy of which was made available to Newsmen.

The former Governor, pointed out that no account of his contained N9.9 billion, let alone being frozen by the EFCC, saying that, in the spirit of Sallah and having served Lagos State diligently well with utmost dedication and integrity, his record was very clear, and his mind joyful for such opportunity.

Ambode said that while he did not intend to join issues with the anti-corruption Agency at this time, especially as there had been no communication between him and the Commission on this issue, it was pertinent to clarify what he believed was a misleading import of the Press statement made available, on Tuesday.

According to him, the accounts in question that were frozen by the Federal High Court, belong to the Lagos State Government, and not him or any individual, saying that, those accounts were opened in the course of normal operations by the State Government for its administrative purposes, and not for the former Governor’s personal transactions, as was being wrongly insinuated.

This was just as he noted that the said account had been operated to ensure smooth operations of government activities in the State.

“Those accounts were opened in the course of normal operations by the Lagos State Government, for its administrative purposes and not for the former Governor’s personal transactions, as was being wrongly insinuated, and have been operated to ensure smooth operations of government activities by previous and present administrations.

“The former Governor was not and will never be involved in any unauthorised use of government property and resources”, the statement noted.