“Boko Haram attacks worse under Buhari” – Ekweremadu

The Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, on Thursday said the Boko Haram insurgency had worsened under President Muhammadu Buhari.

Ekweremadu said the former President Goodluck Jonathan administration had almost rolled back Boko Haram and its activities in the North-East.

The deputy senate president also expressed the fear the insurgents could also attack Abuja and the southern part of the country soon.

Speaking to journalists in Abuja, he chose not to answer questions on his alleged involvement in the forgery of senate rules but said he had been worried about the renewed attacks by Boko Haram.

He said, “I am worried about the resurgence of Boko Haram activities in Nigeria. Shortly before the inauguration of the present government, the country had almost rolled back Boko Haram and its activities in every part of Nigeria – from Adamawa to Borno to Yobe.

He therefore appealed to Nigeria’s neighbouring countries and the international community to support the country to roll back the activities of Boko Haram, stressing that there was no way the nation could achieve progress in the country without peace.

He said the Buhari administration should, as a matter of urgency, “deal with this security challenge no matter what it would cost us.”

He also called for collaboration between the executive and the legislature in order to deal with the scourge.

He expressed sympathy with the Boko Haram’s victims and called for an immediate action to stop the menace.

The deputy senate president, nevertheless, expressed the hope that the nation would overcome the challenge.

Source: The Punch