Mohamed al-Menfi, head of Libya’s Presidency Council on Saturday said it was his goal to ensure a consensus on the country’s electoral law for the December 24 presidential and parliamentary elections go as planned.
Speaking from New York, al-Menfi said he would urge candidates not to take part unless there was consensus on the vote’s legal framework.
He however added that not having a proper vision towards consensus is by itself a “risk”.
“If they don’t reach consensus, then sacrifice – let’s all withdraw from this process and step down,” he said.
He said the Presidency Council would step in only if the other bodies – the HoR, the HSC, the U.N. and its dialogue forum – were unable to resolve a legal framework.
“Our goal is to make sure elections happen and we hand over on the 24th whatever happens,” he said.
Since the 2011 NATO-backed uprising that ousted Muammar Gaddafi, Libya has been plagued by chaos and violence and it was split after 2014 between warring western and eastern factions.
The elections were mandated as part of a roadmap drawn up last year by a political forum convened by the United Nations to end a decade-long crisis, but disputes over the vote threaten to unravel the peace process.
A three-man Presidency Council drawn from Libya’s three regions and headed by al-Menfi to act as head of state and a Government of National Unity (GNU) headed by Prime Minister Abdulhamid Dbeibah were installed by the roadmap.