The Nigerian Correctional Service has confirmed the attack on the Custodial Centre in the Kuje area council of the Federal Capital Territory which occurred late on Tuesday.
This was contained in a statement titled, ‘Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje attacked by gunmen,’ by its spokesperson, Umar Abubakar, in the early hours of Wednesday.
According to Abubakar, the armed squad of the service with other security agencies responded to the attack. He, however, said calm had been returned to the area.
The statement read, “I wish to confirm that at about 2200hrs, some yet-to-be-identified gunmen attacked the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje, in the Federal Capital Territory.
“However, men of the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service and other security agencies attached to the Custodial Centre have responded and calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control.
“Other details will be made available soon.”
The Kuje Custodial Centre came under attack late Tuesday night apparently to free jailed criminals. A prison staff who spoke to PREMIUM TIMES said, “Kuje prison is under massive bomb, armed attack.”
The source also said the attackers used three bombs and forcibly gained control of four entry and exit points.