A leading figure in Guinea’s opposition on Saturday advised ECOWAS not to impose economic sanctions on Guinea’s new military regime, describing the recent coup as a “welcome development”.
“The junta does not deserve to be sanctioned because it put an end to a situation of lawlessness,” former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo who ran unsuccessfully against the deposed leader Alpha Conde three times in successive presidential elections said in an interview.
Folowing the seizure of power last week by Guinea’s Special Forces led by Lieutenant Colonel Mamady Doumbouya and the arrest of President Conde, ECOWAS on Wednesday suspended Guinea’s membership, and on Friday, the African Union (AU) followed suit.
But Diallo said, “The involvement of the army to end an illegal and illegitimate mandate was for me a welcome decision.”
“If (the junta) is really committed to moving towards constitutional order by organising free and transparent elections in a reasonable time, I don’t think it’s necessary to sanction them,” he said.
Guinea’s Special Forces have formed a junta named the CNRD, which has dissolved the government and the controversial new constitution that Conde pushed through to allow to run for a third term.
But they have also promised to form a “government of national union” to oversee a political transition.