The Ebonyi State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Daniel Umezurike on Friday dismissed reports of Cholera Outbreak in the State, adding that reports on the outbreaks of the disease in the area is just mere rumour as there was nothing like cholera outbreak or deaths.
He made this known during an assessment visit to Ndiegu Amagu, in Ikwo Local Government Area in Abakaliki, the state’s capital.
The commissioner said when the outbreak was first reported in early November 2021, officials of the ministry, World Health Organisation (WHO) among other relevant agencies visited the area.
“We carried out rapid diagnostic tests and all tested samples turned negative.
“We also forwarded collected samples to the reference laboratory in Abuja and the microscopies all showed negative,” he said.
He said when the current, ‘rumour’ of the outbreak broke, relevant officials were dispatched to the area and they interacted intensively with members of the community.
“We visited the area with the objectives of confirming the rumour, attending to the sick people among them, collecting and testing samples and sensitising the people on the disease.
“We saw the four persons suspected to be suffering from the disease and after thorough medical analysis, did not discover any trace of the disease.
“One said that she defecated in the morning of November 26, has not defecated again since then and that it was not watery.
“The other persons were admitted in a nearby health facility with one of them showing pregnancy symptoms.
“Another one said he had been on admission in the facility since Nov. 24 while the other had been discharged,” he said.
Umezurike said relevant health partners would be consistently monitoring development from the area and were also ready to contain any emergency.
“When there is panic over reports of an outbreak, people can attribute the cause of any death to cholera or any of such diseases,” he said.
Speculations on cholera outbreak were heightened on November 25, when the Chairman of the council, Chief Steve Orogwu confirmed fatalities from the outbreak in a statement signed by his media aide.
The statement disclosed that nine deaths had been recorded from the disease as against 65 being reported on social media.