Federal Government Reiterates Determination, Commitment to Improve Security
The Federal Government has once again reiterated its determination and commitment to improve security in the country.
This Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola stated this in his remarks titled ‘A Quantum Leap on National Security’ during the inauguration of the Committee to study the Recommendations and implementation Strategies on Strengthening Internal Security Framework and Community Policing in Nigeria on Tuesday in Abuja.
The minister’s statement was contained in a press release by Director Press of the Ministry of Interior, Blessing Lere-Adams on Tuesday.
Aregbesola said that “the journey to today’s event began with the Senior Executive Course (SEC) 40,2018 of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS), on Strengthening Internal Security Framework and Community Policing in Nigeria.
“Consequently, the Committee observed that the absence of a National Security Policy and Strategy document as well as a Monitoring and Evaluation Framework on Internal Security has negatively affected the operations of the Internal Security Agencies in the country which therefore necessitated the directive of Mr. President to approve an Inter-Ministerial Committee with all relevant stakeholders on Internal Security to be put in place.”
Aregbesola stressed that “one of the nine priority areas of the Administration of President Muhammadu Buhari is to improve governance and provide security for all citizens.
“Therefore, it calls for all seriousness to provide the needed apparatus and security architecture to fight insecurity in the country.”
The inaugurated Committee has Seven Sub-Committee and their Terms of Reference (TOR) which are;
1. The Committee to develop internal security Policy and strategy with the Interior Minister as Chairman.
2. Committee to Develop Mechanism for effective Synergy and Coordination among Internal Security Agencies and Adopt Community Policing as a National Strategy with the Police Affairs Minister as Chairman.
3. Committee to Develop Comprehensive Monitoring and Evaluation Framework for Internal Security Operatives with the Permanent Secretary of Interior as Chairman.
4. Committee on the Application of Appropriate Science , Technology and Innovation for Strengthening Internal Security ,Management, including Forensic Satellite Imagery, Drones , CCTVs etc. with the representative of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology Innovation as Chairman.
5. Committee on the Establishment of Internal Service Trust Fund with Permanent Secretary Ministry of Police Affairs as Chairman.
6. Committee on the Appropriate Devolution of Control of Resources along the chains of Command of Internal Security Agency with the Director General, National Drug Law & Enforcement Agency as Chairman.
7. Committee to Innovate Funding Mechanism for upgrading Equipment Holdings of Internal Security Agencies and for providing Needed Equipment for Security Agencies with the Inspector General, Nigeria Police Force as Chairman.
Aregbesola also said “I do not need to reiterate the seriousness of this assignment, providing security for lives and property of the citizens is the primary responsibility of Government. This is a mission on which we cannot afford to fail.”
The statement said, “The Minister said three things are clear in their mandate, the first is, there must be a new and effective strategy thinking that should be at least two steps ahead of these current challenges. He pointed out the recent incidences at the correctional facilities which are no longer internal insurrection by inmates but mass armed invasion from outside. A new strategy therefore must emerge to tackle these new challenges.
“Secondly is the issue of galvanizing resources –human, financial and technology. The third concern is community policing. The people, he said are the primary agents in their security; nevertheless, they must be socialised and well organised along that line-with the people in the first line of Defence. Therefore, if people are organised for their own security, it makes the work of security agencies easy.”
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Dr. Shuaib Belgore had earlier expressed his appreciation to Aregbesola and the Executive Course (SEC) 40 ,2018 of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS), for the Report and documents on Monitoring and Evaluation Framework on Internal Security that made President Muhammadu Buhari to approve this Inter-Ministerial Committee.
The Director Planning Research and Statistics, Mr. Ayuba Kabir also appreciated all members that attended the inauguration, the Minister and the Permanent Secretary for ensuring a successful inauguration.
Other members of the Committee are officers from ONSA, NN, NA, NAF, DSS, OSGF, IPCR, FMST,NICOMSAT, FMDE and Brig, General, Udaya (rtd) NIPSS DG, Air Commodore I.J Ukeh, representative of Chief of Air Staff, Brig Gen. MK Ibrahim, representative of Chief of Army Staff, Service Chiefs under Ministry of Interior and other personalities.