Humanitarian organisations have halted humanitarian efforts in Ethiopia’s Tigray region, the United Nations said Sunday.
This follows the latest air raid in a camp for displaced people that killed 56 civilians and injured 126 people.
“Humanitarian partners suspended activities in the area due to the ongoing threats of drone strikes,” the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a statement.
A lack of medicines, fuel and other essential commodities was “severely disrupting the response to the injured, and has led to the nearly total collapse of the health system in Tigray,” OCHA said.
“The intensification of airstrikes is alarming, and we once again remind all parties to the conflict to respect their obligations under international humanitarian law,” it said.
The attack in the town of Dedebit in northwestern Tigray had “caused scores of civilian casualties including deaths”, OCHA said according to its preliminary information.
The airstrikes on Tigray between December 19 and 24 caused “mass civilian casualtiesl,” the UN humanitarian agency reported last month.
Earlier this month, the UN said three Eritrean refugees, including two children, had been killed in an airstrike Wednesday on a refugee camp in Tigray.
About 400,000 people are facing famine in Tigray, and millions need food aid across northern Ethiopia as a result of the war that broke out in November, 2020.
Tigray, a mountainous region of 5 million people (6% of Ethiopia’s population of more than 110 million) is one of the 10 semi-autonomous federal states organised along ethnic lines in Ethiopia, and home mostly to the Tigrayan people.
Marked by a litany of abuses, including massacres and rape, the war has threatened to tear apart Africa’s second-most populous country.