Nigerian-British actor, John Boyega, is among the winners of the 2020 GQ Men Of The Year Awards which held on Thursday night. The 28-year-old actor was the recipient of GQ’s Icon award.
The 23rd edition of the GQ award celebrated people who made a great impact in the world in the past 12 months.
According to GQ, ‘Boyega’s Black Lives Matter speech in June was perhaps at the heart of why he has been named GQ Icon.’
Also, he has been at the forefront of the global campaign to highlight police brutality and extrajudicial killing in Nigeria especially during the #EndSARS protest.
This would be the second time the actor has won the award.
“I won one in 2016 and, honestly, it’s great for the interior design of my living room that I can balance it out with a second one,” he said in an interview with GQ.
See the full list of winners below:
- Inspiration: Captain Sir Tom Moore
- Hugo Boss Breakthrough Actor: Paul Mescal
- Game Changer: Lewis Hamilton
- Campaigner: Marcus Rashford
- Design Legend: Tommy Hilfiger
- Solo Artist: Shawn Mendes
- TV Personality: Piers Morgan
- Humanitarian: Patrick Hutchinson
- Maddox Gallery Artist: Charlie Mackesy
- Lifetime Achievement: Ozzy Osbourne
- Creative Icon: Michaela Coel
- Peroni Breakthrough Designer: Daniel W Fletcher
- Hugo Boss Breakthrough Actress: Lashana Lynch
- Icon: John Boyega