The Kaduna State Government has confirmed that dead bodies were recovered in the terrorist attack which occurred on a train along Abuja-Kaduna route on Monday.
This was confirmed in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan on Tuesday.
Although Aruwan did not state the number of death recorded, he noted that the dead victims and those injured had been taken to hospitals.
He said, “Evacuation of passengers on the trapped Kaduna-bound train from Abuja has been concluded this morning by security forces, officials of Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and Nigerian Red Cross.
“Passengers who sustained injuries, and other fatalities, have been moved to hospitals. The passengers were evacuated from different hard-to-reach areas in forests and rocky locations in Audujongom, off the Kaduna-Abuja Road.
“As stated yesterday, the Kaduna State Government is still liaising with the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) to ascertain the list from the passengers manifest for efficient tracking.”
Aruwan said, “Governor Nasir El-Rufai commended those who participated in the evacuation and appealed to the hospitals to attend to the victims diligently.”
“The governor also directed the Ministry of Health to be in contact with the hospitals,” noting that “the government would bear the cost of treatment.”
“As of the time of this update, search-and-rescue operations are in progress,” he added.