The Federal Government of Nigeria said it was not aware of any $875 million ammunition deal with the U.S., therefore, dismissed it as fake news reports.
TOS News had on Friday reported that U.S. lawmakers were masterminding a hold on a proposed sale of almost $1 billion worth of weapons to Nigeria over concerns about possible human rights abuses by the government, which three sources familiar with the matter said on Thursday.
Information and Culture Minister, Lai Mohammed told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja that no other arms deal exists between Nigeria and Washington apart from the A-29 Super Tucano fighter jets contract.
“There is no contract of arms between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the United States of America today apart from the 12 Super Tucano attack helicopters of which six had been delivered.
“We are quite satisfied with the progress and cooperation that we received from the government of the US on this issue.
“As a matter of fact, six of the Tucano helicopters will be launched on August 3, this year.
“We are not aware of the so called 875 million USD arms contract or some helicopters which they said some lawmakers in the US are trying to persuade the president of the US not to honour
“The relationship between Nigeria and the US is smooth and waxing stronger.”
Nigeria is besieged by a 12-year insurgency by Boko Haram militants in the country’s northeast, deadly spate of high-profile kidnapping-for-ransom campaigns and bandit attacks.
In addition to the helicopters, the proposed deal included 28 helicopter engines produced by GE Aviation, 14 military-grade aircraft navigation systems made by Honeywell, and 2,000 advanced precision kill weapon systems—laser-guided rocket munitions.