The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has reiterated its commitment to collaborate with security agencies to ensure the rescue of those abducted during the attack on an Abuja-Kaduna bound passenger train by gunmen.
This was disclosed in a statement by the NRC’s Managing Director, Fidet Okhiria on Monday.
He said, “The corporation was working assiduously with security agencies to ensure that the abductees were rescued and reunited with their families.
“We are committed to the rescue of our passengers and staff who were aboard the ill-fated Ak9 train service.
“All hands would be on deck to effectually collaborate with security agencies to ensure that all persons being held are rescued unhurt and reunited with their families.
“Our heart goes out to those who lost loved ones, and those injured in the attack who are now recuperating.”
Okhiria said, “191 out of the 362 validated passengers aboard the train had been confirmed safe and were in their various homes.
“Five others were confirmed safe on April 4 while about 46 phone numbers on the manifest are still either switched off or not reachable.
“33 phone numbers are ringing but not answered while 62 phone numbers are responding to be non-existent.”
Okhiria also said that so far 22 persons had been reported missing by their relatives, with eight persons already confirmed dead.
“Five are safe and two missing; 10 janitors: six are safe, three missing and one dead. Also, one caterer is safe while two are missing.”
He said, “An additional coach, SP 00020, had been re-railed and moved safely to Rigasa Station, bringing the total number of recovered coaches that had been safely moved to the NRC stations to eight.
“Intensive track repair works have been ongoing to enable the recovery of the remaining coaches and locomotives.”
He further promised to keep the general public abreast of the unfolding developments to avoid speculations and misinformation.