After 15 civilians were reported killed in the deadliest day yet protests against the military takeover, opponents and activists in Sudan vowed on Thursday to intensify protests risking more confrontation as the junta shows no sign of backing down.
Pro-democracy activists are facing an increasingly dangerous struggle in the streets, nearly a month since coup leader General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan derailed Sudan’s transition towards civilian rule.
A group of neighbourhood resistance committees coordinating the protest movement in east Khartoum announced in a statement “open escalation” against the coup.
“Now we are making consultations among the resistance committees about upping the escalation against the coup,” a senior member of the committees said on condition of anonymity.
According to medics, the deaths on Wednesday bring the toll since the October 25 coup to at least 39.
Police said 89 officers were wounded on Wednesday and that they recorded one civilian death.
Activists and opposition groups have managed to draw attention to the protests on social media despite the restrictions.
All telecommunications companies had their internet services restored on Thursday following instructions from Sudanese.
A court had ordered the country’s three main telecom companies to restore the internet on 9 November, but the outage persisted.
“There is increasing despondency, but the resilience of the ongoing protest movement gives hope that the coup could still be reversed. There is still a window of opportunity to do that, but it is narrowing,” said Ahmed Soliman of the Chatham House think tank.
Last week, Burhan appointed a new ruling council. But he has yet to name a new cabinet, leaving at least some possibility for a compromise over a new administration.