11 members of a task force tasked with dismantling al-Bashir’s financial and political legacy and overseeing Sudan’s transition to democracy were slapped with a travel ban by Sudan’s security service government sources said, as tensions between civilian and military leaders threaten to boil over weeks after a failed coup.
The sources said Mohamed al-Faki who at a news conference last month accused the military of using the failed coup as an excuse to try to seize power was included on the list.
Al-Faki is also part of the ruling Sovereign Council which has run Sudan since Bashir’s overthrow.
The General Intelligence Service’s (GIS) in a statement later on Wednesday denied reports that it banned officials from travel and said that was not within its powers.
“The Service affirms that it is operating according to its duties as stated in the transitional constitution,” it said in the statement.
Since the coup attempt on September 21, military leaders have withdrawn protection for the task force and demanded changes to the civilian coalition with which they share power.
Since the ban originated from the GIS rather than the public prosecutor’s office the sources tagged the ban as illegal. The added that the cabinet – which sits below the Sovereign Council – was pressing for an investigation.