The People’s Candidate (TPC) is an initiative of The Osasu Show/TOS TV in collaboration with Connected Development (CODE). TPC was created for the sole purpose of maximising the democratic rights of Nigerians by returning power back to the people.
TPC is a platform that will disrupt the biased electoral process by availing all Nigerians, irrespective of political affiliation, an opportunity to nominate and vote their likely presidential candidates for the various political parties in 2019. Each nominee must meet the basic criteria in Section 131 of the Nigerian Constitution as amended in 1999 which states:
131. A person shall be qualified for election to the office of President if
HE IS A CITIZEN OF NIGERIA BY BIRTH;
HE HAS ATTAINED THE AGE OF FORTY YEARS;
HE IS A MEMBER OF A POLITICAL PARTY AND IS SPONSORED BY THAT POLITICAL PARTY; AND
HE HAS BEEN EDUCATED UP TO AT LEAST SCHOOL CERTIFICATE OR ITS EQUIVALENT
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has scheduled the next presidential elections for February 16th, 2019. As it typically occurs during elections, a select few party leaders in Nigeria (in comparison to millions of eligible voters) gather together to decide who emerges as the political candidates of their respective parties. The people are then left to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea.
Nomination of candidates will end on June 1st, 2018 and the voting process will commence thereafter. The goal of this initiative is to ensure the person that emerges as President in 2019 is a true reflection of the people’s wish as opposed to the idiosyncrasies of a select few party leaders.
• Reduce voter apathy and boost voters confidence
• Disrupt the normative behaviour of a select few party leaders from dictating the people’s candidate
• Make the candidate selection process transparent, democratic and equitable
• Arouse the interest of Nigerians in the activities of government
• Give a voice to the masses
• Engage the masses in the entire value chain of the political process