Former President of the United States of America, Donald Trump said Monday that his Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida was being “raided” by FBI agents in what he called an act of “prosecutorial misconduct” without details.
The FBI declined to comment on whether the search was happening or what it might be for.
Many US media outlets cited sources close to the investigation as saying that agents were conducting a court-authorized search related to the potential mishandling of classified documents that had been sent to Mar-a-Lago.
In a statement posted on his Truth Social network, Trump said his “beautiful home, Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents.”
Aerial view of Mar-a-Lago showed police cars outside the property. Supporters of the ex-US leader also gathered outside, waving banners with Trump’s name or American flags emblazoned with his face.
“It is prosecutorial misconduct, the weaponization of the Justice System, and an attack by Radical Left Democrats who desperately don’t want me to run for President in 2024,” said Trump, who was not present during the raid, according to The New York Times.
“Such an assault could only take place in broken, Third-World Countries. Sadly, America has now become one of those Countries,” he said, adding: “They even broke into my safe!”
Some senior Republicans also took to social media to criticize the raid and accuse the Justice Department of overreach.