Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on Wednesday extended a joint military operation against Islamist insurgents in east Congo, the operation’s spokesperson said.
Launched late last year, operation Shujaa initially meant to last six months, was extended into a third phase.
Uganda’s military had earlier announced that it would pull out troops when the mission ends unless instructed otherwise.
According to Shujaa spokesman, Colonel Mak Hazukay the extension was made because the threat was not “eradicated”.
At least 1,700 Ugandan troops were sent to DRC to help fight a violent rebel group known as the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).
The Congo and Ugandan armies signed the extension documents on June 1.
The length of the extension has not yet been determined and the number of deployed troops is classified information, the spokesperson said.